Jigsaws are most maker’s least favorite power saw. I am not one of those makers. Let me tell you why. I understand the limits of this type of tool and I only use it for it’s strengths. Before I had a bandsaw, this was the only saw I had that could cut curves. Even after I got my bandsaw, this is still the only saw I have that can cut inside curves.
All that said, this is a fantastic jigsaw. The Makita 4329 3.9 Amp Variable-Speed Top-Handle Jig Saw has all of the features you’d expect from a modern jigsaw; variable speed, orbital cutting, adjustable base for cutting miters, and dust collection. The last two I’ve never used. I would never cut miters with a jigsaw.
The Makita 4329 has a 3.9 amp motor, which means that it’s more on the compact side and is not really a production shop jigsaw. You’ll probably want something with a bigger motor if you’re using it all day every day. That being said, for the weekend warrior, this is a terrific saw. It also comes with a hard case, which is great for throwing it in the truck and using it on a job site.
The orbital feature means that you can cut faster, but that usually induces quite a bit of tear-out, therefore I keep it off. The variable speed also allows you to minimize tear-out by adjusting for material requirements. If using it for straight cuts, I strongly suggest clamping a straight edge to your workpiece and running the saw against it.
The last point I want to make is that it uses the t-shank quick-change blade, which is pretty standard on a modern jigsaw, but still something to be happy about. I’ve used jigsaws that used the old style straight shank and allen key. No thanks.
- Variable speed control dial (500-3,100 SPM) enables user to match the speed to the application for optimal cutting performance in a variety of materials
- Ergonomically designed rubberized grip for increased comfort and control
- Sliding dust cover for use during vertical cutting helps prevent chips from flying
- Through-the-body dust port provides optimal dust management with use of clear dust cover and vacuum
- Counterweight balancing system for reduced vibration
Last update on 2021-09-14 at 07:55 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API