Roof vents are important when it comes to the overall health and comfort of your home. Getting the best roof vent will help you maintain the perfect temperature in your house. Not only does it prevent overheating but also reduces temperature changes from both within and outside your house, creating a comfortable environment to live in! So, what features should the roof vent have?
The best roof vent should be easily installable, noiseless, reversible, powerful, and carry lots of air and it should be applicable for both cold and hot weather conditions. Only a roof vent with all these qualities can be called the perfect roof vent.
This mega guide will take you deep into the world of roof vents and will explore some of the most popular roof vents on the market today to help you find one that suits your needs!
A roof vent is a small opening on the part of your home’s exterior that comes in direct contact with the elements. It is designed to let in fresh air into your house and to get rid of all the toxins or toxic air that’s inside the house.
Roof ventilation is a system that allows air circulation through the attics of houses. A properly vented roof can protect the roof from overheating because an overheated roof can cause further problems like health risks or damages.
What Do People Like About Roof Vents?
Every house requires proper ventilation, and many people would like to implement it through their roof. People should select a ventilation system that is tailored to their climate and other variables depending on their home.
What do people like about roof vents? A good roof vent will keep the attic’s aluminum cool in the summer and keep it clean and dry in the colder months. It also allows natural airflow inside your house, making it pleasant to live in.
Benefits of roof vent:
- Energy Cost: It reduces energy costs. As hot air can pass through the roof vent, there’s little need to use air conditioners.
- Extends Roof Life: It protects the concrete tile, asphalt shingles, avoids, and gutters that can live up to the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Low Cost: Properly insulated roofs can keep the moisture intact and cleans dirt almost itself.
- Prevent Ice Dams: Ice melts, and the remaining water flows down.
What Are Some Roof Vent Problems?
It’s usual for a product to have both pros and cons. Similarly, roof vents also come with their pros and cons.
What are some roof vent problems? You must choose the right roof vent for your house, keeping your climate and other factors in mind. Or else it will not benefit you. The installation is not very simple but needs to be done accurately to get the right service.
How Long Roof Vent Lasts?
Every product has its lifespan. But if taken care of properly, it’ll give the best service within that lifespan or even exceed that.
How long roof vent last? How long a roof vent will last depends on how accurately you are installing it, that’s why it’s best to take professional help. It also depends on how your climate is.
Best Roof Vent 2021 Comparison Table
Our team researched the best roof vents for the market in 2021.
Galvanized Steel Vent
Our first pick for best roof vents for Galvanized steel vent. This one is light, easy to install, and doesn’t require electricity.It’s a straight vent for internal air exhaustion and carrion resistance. This ready-made vent is perfect if your extended house doesn’t have any built-in vent, but now you need one.
- Easy to set: The vents come with pre-drilled holes. You can easily mount it by using an electric drill machineâ€”no need of asking an experts help.
- Anti-corrosive properties: The vent has a fully galvanized roof. It has got polyester powder coated finish. As a result, the vent can survive on rain, snow or any other roughness that can damage the steel.
- Multi-purpose use: You can use the vent anywhere in your house. But this 6 inches diameter collared vent is ideal for kitchen room, bathroom and garage especially. It features removable damper which prevents backdrafts. It helps to do the entire function of a vent. It let the polluted air to flow out of the home and to avoid contaminant air sweeping back inside the room.
Lomanco Galvanized Turbines
The turbine on this standard vent is very effective at sucking the stale air from inside the attic. So if you have a standard window on the roof or rooms, you can use the Lomanco Galvanized turbines.It easily fits on 7/12 roofs and sizes around 12 inches. The turbine is made of .025 stamped galvanized airflow steel and equipped with durable lubricant ball bearings.
- Efficient: The Lomanco can easily fit on a roof that raises 7 inches. Its high-speed fans allow the contaminant air to go out and suck the cold and fresh air inside. The right side of it even in the hottest weather like up to 50 degrees C the turbine can moderate the inside temp; depending on the room size.
- Long-lasting: The galvanized body of the turbine is very long-wearing. You can use it in blizzard, rain, sand secure or anything. The highly polished body survive on any attach of rust or fungus.
- Protective: The turbine is an open passage for air, water or anything has outside. That way, you think. But in reality, it does not let come inside like water during the rainstorm. The design of it does not pass things like water or sand inside the roof or room so you can be assured about your home well-being.
AIR VENT Square Roof Vent
If you want a cheap but decent roof vent, then the Air vent square roof vent is perfect to have. This one has a 16x18x9; diameter opening and is easily mountable with a 3/12 or 10/12 roof pitch. It’s made of high-quality galvanized steel, which makes it long-wearing also.
- Excellent shape: Forget those over or round shape vents that we often see in the market or people’s houses. But, this one is a square shape and looks modern. If you see its advertisement picture, you will see it’s a brown colour polished vent. But in reality, it’s not. The vent is galvanized and has a shiny surface that isn’t brown. However, galvanized steel is excellent and fully rustproof. It can survive very well in any bad weather or condition for a long time.
- Efficient: The vent has 9.5 inches opening with an 8 by 8 inches aluminium screen. It’s louvred and can let the air flow from three sides. As a result, the inside heat and humidity can pass outside, and the room feels comfortable.
- Simple setup: All you need to set the vent is some screw and drill machine and a keyhole saw to cut an opening on the roof. The installation process is mention on the box, so anyone with basic setup knowledge can mount it.
iLIVING Exhaust Attic Solar Roof
For efficient temp and humidity control, you can choose the iLIVING Exhaust Attic Solar Roof. This one is made of a waterproof brushless motor with a warranty. It’s fully solar energized and comes with the highest capacity of the exhausting air system.Here I like to mention you can get an AC/DC adapter kit for nonstop operation and the on/off switch. That means you can use it at night by storing energy through a particular device. But you need to pay some extra bucks for that. Otherwise, the panel comes with only day-long service.
- Adjustable: The vent is adjustable in 0°/15°/30°/45°. Which means it does not stick on one side like the other solar panels. It also features an intelligent thermostat control which can be enabled or disable within 65-130 ft.
- Powerful: The vent can cover up to 2000 sqft area at a time. That is equal to 1750 CFM. That means you can set it up on attic, garage, kitchen, or burn.
- Capable: The vent comes with a brushless 20w motor. This flexible polycrystalline solar panel has a waterproof fan which works continuously without getting tired. When the fan starts, the thermostat automatically adjusts the temperature and cools it down.
Remington Solar Roof Vent
You can’t afford to have something like a Remington Solar roof vent. This solar roof vent is energy efficient, has noise dampening technology, and has high performance at tamping control. Each fan has a pre-installed humidistat and thermostat, giving it more strength in managing air, humidity, and heat.
- Cut your electricity bills: The end electricity bill of a roof vent is not just a few sums. That is why having a solar-powered device is an excellent relive. And Remington is fully powered by free solar energy. All you need is to hassle with a one hour of installation process and rest is chill.
- Powerful fan: The included fan of the roof vent is 25-watt. This one powerfully works to ventilate up to 1800 sq/ft of attic space. During winter, the fan reduces any risk of ice-damming.
- Durable: The entire set up such as fan, frame, thermostat, etc., is made of high-quality materials. In Fact this is the lowest price high-quality roof vent you can ever have. Once set up, you don’t have to worry about it much during the rainy season or snow. Just usual maintenance may require time to time.
HQST Solar Attic Fan
The HQST Solar Attic fan offers excellent service and value. This one provides auto light control, zero noise, easy installation, and maintenance. Here I like to mention one thing; if your area has large natural disasters like a hurricane, you have to be careful with this one; the aluminium flowline blew away after a robust medium hurricane.
- Great temp control: The roof vent is right added humidity and temperature control. You can use it for every 1076 sq.ft. It protects the roof from deterioration and service in snow and rains.
- Work with everything: You can use this for wood, slate, flat concrete tile and metal roofs. Those roofs with slopping, asphalt, shingle problems will survive after installing it.
- Durable and sturdy: The fan comes with an IP68 waterproof brushless DC motor. Also, it includes a built-in 15-watt panel which generates steady airflow. The 12â€ full fan creates almost zero noise even in high speed. The entire structure is made of aluminium which is rust free and very light.
Broan Surface Mount Solar Powered Attic Ventilator
For minimalistic appearances and high work competence you defiantly consider having Broan surface mount vent.
This one specially made of high-temperature control. If your area is not cold-weather condensation, then this vent is perfect for you.
- Solar-powered: The vent comes with a 28 watts solar panel which converts sunlight into electricity. That is a saver not only your dollar but also the power that we are spending day and night. The ventilation system can cover 537 CFM in a year.
- Heavy-duty: The tempered glass solar unit is made to last long. The outer portion is UV stabilized, rugged with ABC plastic and color dyed. Moreover, it can tolerate big hail and stay in shape in most of the rough condition.
- Easy to install: The roof vent is simple to use and install. Its low profile design looks great on the roof too. It does not need and pivoting stand also. You can easily set it with the help of some screw and screwdriver if the roof is pre-cut.
Maxxair Roof Vent
For the decent value and features, you will definitely like the Maxxair Roof Vent. The good thing is the vents fan is not that loud, like some other vents. With the better temp, air, and humidity control, the vent never lets your windows fogged after a heavy shower outside. The built-in thermostat works excellent and provides the temp that you like. By the way, it’s automatic and works according to the current heat.
- Convenient: The current model of Maxxair comes with remote control. Many high-end models don’t have anything like this. So that now you have better control at when to speed up or down the fan or turn it on/off.
- High speed: The vent comes with more reliable, strong fan and power. The fan on the other hand is 10X high or mighty compared to others. As a result you get faster temperature control within short time.
- Easy installation: you can use this fan for any 14/14 inch roof opening. It’s flush-mounted, all inside trim, and very easy to set up. However, you can use it for any folding camping trailers, fifth wheels, travel trailers, and all types of motorhomes.
HENG’S UNIVERSAL ROOF VENT
Here is another roof vent at an affordable price that works fine as other fans. The Heng’s Universal roof vent is made of galvanizing steel. Due to its construction, it does not rust quickly. This one is also lightweight and easy to install. Also, the removable screen makes the usual cleaning easy.
- Powerful: The vent comes with a 12-volt motor, six-bladed fans on/off switch, and a push-button. The fan works excellent to exhaust hot air and keep the room temperature in control.
- Easy installation: The vent can be installed without any hassle. It does not require hardware mounting. All you need is to get some putty and screw and follow the instructions mentioned on the packet.
- Workable & pretty: The vent works well to cover 950 cfm. Also, it looks brilliant on the roof; compared to others, it’s only 4 inches high and 10 inches wide. The white square shape vent will change the appearance of your roof also.
AIR VENT Attic Ventilator
Last but not least. Here is my final pick for the best quality roof vents. The Air vent Attic Ventilator is power attic ventilation. It’s a brown dome size 25 inches ventilator with the additional motor, thermostat, fans, and many other things. The vent is easy to install and keep inside an average temperature; if you want to cover the right area, you can choose this one.
- Well equipped: The vent features a 2.8 amp motor and a six-bladed fan. It’s powerful enough to work in 60-120 C quite well.
- Better temperature control: I want to clarify that this vent is specially made for humidity control. I live in Colorado, and here the humidity is no problem as well the heat. But I am using it for my 10/12 attic roof, and it’s working fine. The fan has the ability to in and out a lot of air. That is why its adjustable thermostat has better control of temperature.
- Hassel-free installation: The installation of the fan is pretty straightforward. All you need to cut the roof as per size is given a template on the package. Anyone can set the vent if you have nails, a hammer, a keyhole saw, etc.
The Ultimate Roof Vent Buyers Guide
Most commonly, people find challenges with molds, dampness, and shingles damages, and to prevent this kind of situation, modern roof vents play a real authority role in a very leading way.
You may live in a hot or cold area. Maybe you have experienced a poor-quality vent. But a high-quality standard vent has so many real-world advantages. It allows you to deal with the temperature of your home and live mostly.
Having the vent roof system will prolong the life of your roof. It reduces the temperature of your home inside that is necessary for good health too. When you want to save energy cost, then the vent is also a good alternative.
So if you discover your reason and take the full option using a functional vent system, it allows you to save more, live healthier, and protect your roof the smartest way. Then what kind of vent would be the best for your home check below.
Types of Roof Vents
Check out the different types of roof vents before making a purchase. It will help you to understand its category and choose better.
1. Box Roof Vents:
The prominent name of this vent is “Low Profile.” Box vents come in different colors as well as hard plastic and metal material. Both considered it reasonable to use any as the job of roof vents to bring extreme heat and to moisture for releasing. You may sometimes need several box roof vents for required effectiveness.
2. Wind Turbines Vents:
People know it as a “whirlybirds.” It’s unstable without the motor.
You might ask which vents allow more air Box or Turbines? The expert said turbines allow more than the Box vents, especially when the air is blowing around.
You may get it several degrees with quality. To make the best decision, you can apply a standard quality turbine with plastic brushing.
Sometimes people consider the ball bearing and that both are efficient for the spinning process. People often go for the cheapest quality that produces a noise when it spins. Don’t do it.
It’s another type of roof vent system that is noiseless and is designed with a blade and balanced motor and easily exhausted humidity from any roof attic. It’s a truly wise investment for people who live in warmer areas.
Not all experts recommend it everywhere, but some users have a reasonable opinion about the power vents. Maybe they get the most benefit after using it.
The best advice for you is to talk to your contractor; they will give the wisest knowledge rather than non-professionals.
4. Cupola Vents:
People have been using it over the centuries. The name of the old Latin is “small cup.” They were used on castles, cathedrals, and sometimes in government offices.
But interestingly, the amount of efficiency and styles are increasing day by day. So people are not in the same game as before. They are using its modern offices, houses, barns, residential and commercial places too.
The mechanics of cupola vents is their complete light ventilation. It allows you to design the home of your personal choice, and you will get different shapes like octagonal, square, hexagonal, and bell. Choose the option that meets your primal needs very well. Because it is packed with some unusual features, it will quickly send the moist air to the outside and cool you home. And in the winter, prevent the snow so naturally. So if you would like to use higher-quality durable vents, it will serve your purpose real quick.
5. Off Ridge Vents:
It’s most popularly known as universal vents that allow you to use it in so many different types of homes you want to use. It’s built for sloping and used as an intake vent or air exhaust. The speed of these vents is to a maximum of 200 mph with an outstanding design structure. The beauty of the off ridge vents is to keep securing the longevity of the home.
You can use it as an air intake roof vent, releasing the moisture and heat altogether.
You may already face the challenge with snow, rain, insects, or animals. But the off ridge would not rust and keep your appearance clean with more extended usefulness. The good news for some owners who used to worry about the parts replacements or frequent maintenance is the off ridge designed with stable parts.
To match your building material, sometimes powder paint coating helps a lot more.
6. Solar vent:
If you hate the idea of using an electric vent or static vent but need some power to save, then, solar can be one of the best types of vents for you
If any big tree stays around your home, that could be a challenge.
That can prevent the sun. Because the tree keeps your solar panel, it wouldn’t get the solar power you need to use.
Typically the solar is a little tough to install. Because not everyone knows the installation process very accurately, so try to hire professionals and make your job errorless and effortless both ways.
7. Electric Vent:
People who are living in the hot area will be the best investment to use the electric vent. The unique thing about the roof vent is to keep running the vent to get the total advantages.
Some people try to install electric-powered vents on their own. After finishing the setup, they find it doesn’t work correctly. So call someone who can do it and let them do it. And you will be happier after installing the electric vent.
8. Static Vents:
If you would like to passively enter the air into the home without using the electricity and static vent, then it can be beneficial for them.
To get the job done, you need to use a different color, sizes and structural static vents and choose something that relevantly meets your roof structure and give a satisfying experience.
9. Greenhouse vent:
It is mostly used in a greenhouse for a specific application. A greenhouse vent is quite different from other vent systems.
The job of this vent is the same as other vents.
A greenhouse vent has various advantages like temperature, humidity, oxygen exchange, pollination, air circulation, pest control, etc.
Greenhouse vent typically uses the manual structure. And people use it to maintain discipline. And you have to make sure when the close and opening time.
10. Soffit Vents:
If you have ever planned to use environment-friendly vents that powerfully work during the winter and summer, then Soffit is undoubtedly designed to reach your potential.
During the summer, it enters the cold air into the home inside and makes your home peaceful all around.
And the wintertime smoothly sends out the cold air from your home and makes it as natural as possible.
The smartest thing about the Soffit is that it genuinely controls the attic’s temperature that quickly forces you to stay healthy at home.
Some advantages you must pay attention to before making any choice.
Most versatile vents give you wide room for opportunity and balance. It’s highly efficient for both seasons, prevents moisture, and gives you well-structured, saving a lot more energy.
If you think your home is surrounded by mold, it obviously can be the wisest selection for the roof vent.
11. Ridge vents:
Whenever you find yourself using more effective roof vents that prevent cracking and premature aging ultimately, a roof ridge vent can be your excellent option. It works kind of like a vacuuming technology that assists your home to release the warm air more quickly and conveniently.
The roof ridge is quite simple technology recommended by the expert as well as so many owners. As you can see, some hot areas like Texas are handy for using ridge vents.
The common problem with traditional vents is that they hold the air in the attic and cannot send it out. As a result, the hot air stays inside aluminum galvanized and causes structural damage. It is designed to send out the air and prevent damages entirely automatically.
The ridge vent’s real benefit is that it isn’t necessary to use it with the combination of other vents. Most of the other vent systems demand that. But ridge vents are so effective it does it without mixing up anything for any reason.
More types of vents include: Metal pot Vents, Flat vents, hip vents and exhaust vents
Frequently Asked Questions
How far apart should roof vents be?
The general rule for roof spacing is to have at least 1 square foot space between 150 square feet. However, you can change that depending on the structure of the building.
How does the roof vent work?
Roof ventilation systems work by giving a continuous flow of air along with the attic space. This will ensure that there is no overheated air or moisture in the attic area. But most importantly, it will try to reduce the impact of temperatures both inside and outside the building.
Can a roof have too much ventilation?
While you can have extra exhaust ventilation, you can’t go the extra mile when it comes to intake ventilation. The excess intake of ventilation will eventually convert to exhaust when it goes to the leeward part of the building.
Do roof vents keep a house cooler?
Roof vents are great for keeping a house cooler. Other than that, it’ll also ensure there is less humidity. The best part is, you won’t have to face any kind of mold infestation when there are roof vents on your house.
So, these are the things you should pay attention to before buying the product, and hoped you learned about the different types of vents. Remember that a poor roof vent can damage your roof more than doing any good. So buy the roof vent with good qualities and secure your roof as well as your house.