Plastics are one of the greatest creations of humans. There are very few places where you won’t find a trace of plastics.
If you’re looking for something to fix that broken plastic, then epoxy is the best solution. The best plastic epoxy can make sure that your plastic bonds without getting melted.
What is the best plastic epoxy? To get the best plastic epoxy, we would highly suggest you to pick- easy and quick setting, strong, long lasting, and impact resistance plastic epoxy. This would ensure that you will be able to apply your epoxy fast and easily which will last for a long time. With the best plastic epoxy, you can take care of your plastic materials with satisfaction.
We’ve crafted this list of top plastic epoxies through a rigorous process. All the details about these are presented in a structured way here. So, you won’t have a hard time tracking which is which.
What Is Plastic Epoxy?
We are all familiar with plastic products being extremely fragile or can be moulded easily. Buying a plastic epoxy is helpful when using plastic products. Plastic epoxy is specially formulated to repair plastic items.
What is plastic epoxy? Plastic epoxy is made to repair all the plastics that surround us. The product is moldable, can be used on damped surfaces and also on water. It comes in two part adhesive and is supposed to be mixed before glueing anything. It’s a perfect gap filler for reconstruction.
What Do People Like About Plastic Epoxy?
As we buy so much of plastic items and if we don’t get to use for a decent amount of time all the investment behind it will go to waste. Plastic epoxy let’s you fix the product at a cheaper rate and also without any hassle.
What do people like about plastic epoxy? Plastic expose is very easy to use with some simple steps. At the same time it’s also gives a strong outcome. Apart from fixing you can use it for multiple usage like paint, drill.
Benefits of plastic epoxy:
- Forms and Functions: As it comes in many forms like liquid, paste and more. This gives customers more options and every form’s working function is different.
- Quantity: The product gets evenly spread out on the surface without any wastage. Therefore gives you less stress.
- Application: After applying the product gets invisible, quick and easy process and no extra weight.
- Superior Resistance: Highly resistance to hostile environment conditions, elevates temperature conditions.
What Are Some Plastic Epoxy Problems?
It’s best to also know about it’s problems alongside the benefits. The problems are not much critical and can be solved that’s why it’s used by all.
What are some plastic epoxy problems? Mixing of the product is crucial, if that’s done right and the application process is set nicely not much of a problem will occur. No air gaps should be in the repairing area.
How Long Do Plastic Epoxy Lasts?
Every object comes to an end. But if fixed right and dealt with care it lasts a lifetime. Plastic epoxy is the right product in this situation.
How long do plastic epoxy lasts? Plastic epoxy can last a long time. Give the product a good 72 hours to cure on the object. Don’t cold cure it as that will not keep the bonds strong. Natural cure or giving it heat will mature it firmly.
Best Plastic Epoxy 2021 – Comparison Table
Our team researched best plastic epoxy for the market 2021.
JB Weld 50112 – Best Epoxy for Plastic
The goal of using an epoxy is to get that plastic back to work. Now, if this takes around 24 hours, then it’s quite a loss for some people. So, J-B Weld just like always came to the rescue here.
This epoxy here cures within an hour and gives an outstanding bond in terms of strength. However, this feature alone didn’t bring this epoxy to this place in our list.
We’ll uncover more about the J-B Weld 50112 ClearWeld Quick-Setting Epoxy in the next part here-
Features and Benefits:
- Has The Resealable Cap: Unlike many other brands, J-B weld has actually put this feature into use. This cap is built in a way that you can reuse the epoxy again and again. Because of this cap the liquid inside can’t dry out or leak.
- Quick Curing: Our epoxy here cures within an hour. After curing it creates a bond of staggering 3900 PSI. Moreover, that bond can withstand heat up to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. So, even after this quick curing the quality is pretty much above standard.
Gorilla 2 Part 5 Minute Set – Best Quick Plastic Epoxy
Gorilla glues are famous worldwide for their quality. And when they launched an epoxy, they made sure that it satisfies people. This 2 part epoxy is focused on giving you two things.
Those are: good quality epoxy and convenience. We’ll discuss those shortly. Apart from those features, Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy, 5 Minute Set has some other tricks up its sleeves. For instance, because of its versatility, you can bond between different types of materials.
Features and Benefits:
- Quick Setting Epoxy: This one got our title of the best quick setter. Now you might think that there are other epoxies that set in 5 minutes. But why is this one the best? Well, it’s because the gorilla epoxy gives you plenty of time to set the pieces even though it sets within 5 minutes.
- Standard Strength and Durability: The gorilla epoxy achieves a tensile strength of 2600 PSI after curing. Moreover, the syringe dispenser allows you to dispense from the two tubes at the same time. Other than that, there’s a cap to hold off the fluid from flowing out. As a result, you can use it multiple times. And with the temperature resistance range of -10 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, it deserves this position.
Loctite Plastic Bonder – Best Fuel Resistant Plastic Epoxy
The plastic bonder is Loctite’s answer to plastic repairers. And it seems like they’ve built the best automotive plastic epoxy. It’s because the plastic bonder is immune to all types of fuels. Apart from that the Loctite Epoxy Plastic Bonder has some other mentionable features.
However, the price quality ratio here seems a bit off. So, this could be your premium epoxy as well.
This epoxy is down here at number 3 because of its higher setting time and lower tensile strength. It sets at 20 minutes and creates a 3450 PSI bond.
Features and Benefits:
- Versatility at Its Best: Most of the epoxy brands claim that their epoxy works on a number of materials. However, when it comes to plastics many of them fail to keep up the reputation. In this case, you can totally trust on the Plastic Bonder. It bonds ABS, polycarbonate, Acrylic, Mylar, nylon, PVC, and even stainless steel.
- Impact and Weather Resistant: This feature again tells us that it’s made for automobiles. They’ve tested this out in adverse weathers and the bonds still hold. Moreover, this bond is impact resistant. So, you can use sanding, drill and filer machines on it.
Yanyi Glue Putty Stick – Best Plastic Epoxy Putty
It’s the first epoxy putty in our list here. And it has earned this position with its amazing features. If you haven’t used one before then let’s clear out the air first.
So, here’s the thing- you have to knead these in your hand before applying to the plastic. You’ll just need to add some water to smooth it up. This makes it super easy to use. If you have shaky hands then this one would be perfect for you.
Within 40 minutes of applying, the epoxy will set and in 24 hours it’ll be cured. The best part is that you’d be surprised at the bonding strength and all.
However, it’s not the end here. The Yanyi Moldable Epoxy Glue Putty Stick has some other mentionable features too-
Features and Benefits:
- A Great Filler: Epoxy putties focus on doing one thing perfectly. That is filling. You can use this epoxy to fill up those plastic holes, cracks and gaps. So, it’d be perfect to fix that hole in your false ceiling or that crack on your plastic door.
- Impact Resistant: Some epoxy putties create brittle bonds. However, this product here can withstand the force of a drill machine. You can even tap it to your needs. Moreover, the bond is water, heat and corrosion resistant.
JB Weld 8237 – Best Strongest Plastic Epoxy Putty
With the PlasticWeld, J-B Weld captured the market of putty lovers. It’s true that putty has its separate fanbase with the easy to use feature. But J-B Weld has brought some other exciting features onto it.
Actually it was tough competition to choose the best plastic epoxy putty. But our J-B Weld 8237 PlasticWeld Plastic Repair Epoxy Putty fell behind because of popularity and versatility.
However, it’s still the strongest epoxy putty for plastics out there. Also, it’s got some out of the box features too. For example, a heat resistance of 250°F makes it okay for food containers. Now, let’s go through those features-
Features and Benefits:
- Epoxy putty of 600 PSI Shear Strength: The norm is that epoxy putties will have a lower PSI rating. Moreover, this putty is designed to bond plastics. So, it was okay if J-B Weld cut a slack in the strength corner. But they’ve brought in some muscle with this putty. The best part is that you can sand, saw, drill, file, carve, and even paint the cured bond. Long story short, this is the unique feature of this one.
- Water Safe: J-B Weld took the liberty to certify PlasticWeld from NSF. So, you can use it in your water without any hesitation. Moreover, using it in the boats won’t create any environmental issues too. Just make sure it goes through a proper curing period.
Permatex 84145 – Best Epoxy Filler for Plastic
This product here is the average kid of the school. Everything’s good about this epoxy but nothing’s the best here. But we believe every product has some unique feature and Permapoxy has one too. We’ll discuss that briefly in the next section.
Now, let’s get a basic overview of Permatex 84145 Permapoxy Black Plastic Weld.
Well, this Black Plastic Weld is a fast bonding epoxy. Moreover, this one’s made while keeping the plastics on focus. Permapoxy has three main mentionable features – the gap filling capability, strength and fast curing.
Let’s dive deeper with the features-
Features and Benefits:
- Quick Curing Yet Standard Strength: Our epoxy here sets in 5 minutes and cures within 10 minutes. That’s actually impressive. Normally plastic bonders take a bit of time to cure properly but Permapoxy has outdone itself in this area.
- Gap Filling at Its Best: Our plastic epoxy here fills gaps to 0.125 inches or in other words to 1/8 inches. This means that now you won’t have trouble fixing those small cracks on your plastic. However, you might need to smoothen up that crack after applying Permapoxy. But it’ll stick there without any doubt. And because of this reason it’s the unique feature of Permapoxy Black Plastic Weld.
BSI 202 – Best Flexible Plastic Epoxy
We all want some flexibility at some point in our life. Well, we don’t know about life but if you want to make a flexible plastic bond then this is the thing you need.
This super quick epoxy isn’t quite popular but it has its reasons. Basically, in regular times plastic epoxy demand is a bit lower than the other types. Next, this epoxy cures into a special kind of bond that’s targeted to a very niche market.
However, it’s a nice epoxy for plastics overall. Let’s take a quick glance at the other features of this BSI-202 Quick-Cure 5Min Epoxy Bob Smith Ind-
Features and Benefits:
- Flexible Bond for Stressed Objects: BSI figured that not everyone needs a stiff bond. Moreover, sometimes plastic objects need flexibility to absorb shocks. So, if you use regular epoxies in those places, the object loses its effectiveness. Our epoxy here solves this exact problem by giving a flexible bond even after curing.
- Higher Container Capacity: Our epoxy here has the highest container capacity in this list. So, what does it mean for the regular users? Well, it means that if you store it properly then you won’t have to buy epoxies in a while. Basically, you’ll get a longer shelf life.
Super Glue 15277 – Best Strongest Plastic Epoxy
When it comes to pure strength the Super Glue company has outpaced others from this list. However, even after this staggering strength rating, out epoxy is at the number 7 here. So, why’s that? Well, even after the outstanding strength, our glue falls behind in a few areas.
In short, ease of use, gap filling ability, and solvent resistance are somewhat must for an epoxy to top this list. Now, let’s look at the features of Super Glue Plastic Fusion Epoxy Adhesive-
Features and Benefits:
- Super Strong: 4000 PSI actually falls in the ‘above average’ category of some regular epoxies. So, when we saw the number we were a bit surprised. This means once the glue sets down, you’ll be tension free. You can then sand, file, drill and tap the bond as you need. However, to get it right you have to mix the fluids properly.
- Quick Handling Time: Even with this strong bond, our epoxy doesn’t take much time to set. Within 30 minutes you’ll be able to handle your plastic. Which means your target object can get back to work even more quickly. However, it’ll take some more time for the bond to reach its full strength. But the handling strength is pretty good too. Just don’t apply pressure on it.
Devcon 62345 – Best Steel to Plastic Epoxy
This devcon plastic epoxy is unfortunately at the lower end of this list. However, one of the major reasons for that is long curing time. Other than that, this epoxy tries to give a fight to the toppers but fails in the end. But to us this is the best epoxy for plastic to metal.
But you can still try out this ‘2500 PSI bonding epoxy’ because it’s got some unique perks of its own. The thing is not many plastic bonding epoxies can bond metals. Devcon targeted this specific market and tried to bring the best product for this market. And we’ve to agree that they’re successful.
To be more specific, Devcon 62345 Plastic Steel Epoxy has gained some popularity because of its effectiveness in rifle bedding.
So, let’s take a deeper look at the features-
Features and Benefits:
- Contains a Rust Resistant Steel Alloy: Sometimes we end up bonding plastic with metals. The bond however, starts catching humidity just after setting. With time this results in rust. Ultimately, you end either replacing the metal or using another epoxy to fix it. Now this isn’t the story of all the epoxies. We’re just saying that our epoxy here prevents rusts. Ultimately you end up saving money.
- Non-Flammable: Accidents can happen. Your house might get on fire or your kid might bring fire to your plastic epoxy. Now, some of the plastic epoxies tend to be flammable. And you know the consequences of this. As a solution to your worries, devcon introduced this plastic steel epoxy.
Pratley Epoxy Glue – Best New Entry Plastic Epoxy
Pratley is considerably new to the market. They are still in the ‘listening to the customers’ phase. So, we hope to see further improvement from them in future.
Now about what you’ll get if you buy this Pratley Epoxy Glue right now. Well, in one sense it’s not much but in another sense, it’s plenty. It’s plenty in a sense that it bonds plastics. You won’t find many of those in the market. Next it gives a decent bond. Moreover, it picked up some of the features from the toppers.
Let’s discuss those on the next part-
Features and Benefits:
- Dries Clear: You must be thinking that this isn’t something unique. Well, you’re both right and wrong. Many epoxies claim to have a clear bond. However, a good potion of those epoxies end up having a pale tint. Pratley is completely honest about it here. It dries clear and that’s it. As a result, you won’t have to worry about after dry color matchmaking.
- Weather resistant: Be it the Texas heat or the Alaska cold, our Pratley here can withstand all those environmental challenges without any problem. It’s got a nice temperature resistance range. Be it snow, rain or sunlight, this epoxy can go through all. So, you can be tension free about that fixed plastic lying around.
The Ultimate Buying Guide
We have given all the features and benefits of these 10 products. We’ve discussed what you’ll get after using each product. However, we understand that it’s like a maze to you. But don’t fret. We’re here to guide you to the product that best matches your needs.
Now, let’s start one by one-
Start with the Surface
While selecting a plastic epoxy for your project this is the first step. Check the surface types that you’re willing to bond. If it’s plastic to plastic then you can go for all the epoxies in our list. If there are 2-3 types of materials then the game gets hard.
In that case, you have to follow a step by step method. At first identify the material types. For example let’s say that you’ve got steel and plastic. Next, do a search for the word steel in our article. See if it’s mentioned in any product specifically.
If you found your material specific product from the article, then that’s awesome. If not, then welcome to the next step. Here, you’ve to go to the product page. There you can search for your material. Hopefully you’ll find yours.
Check the Bond Specs
On our 2nd step of the buying guide, we’ll check the bond specs. To be more specific, we’ll check the plastic epoxy strength and durability of the bonds. So, how to do that?
Well, in our article you’ll see that we’ve mentioned the epoxies that have high tensile strength. You’ll have around 5-10 products at your hand after the first screening.
Now you have to screen out the 3-4 epoxies that deliver a strong bond.
That’s not all-
Here you might want to look at which ones can handle after touches. We have mentioned if any of those can handle sanding machines and drilling machines. Just find the toughest ones.
Sort by Dry Time
After the second screening we believe you’ve got 3-4 products at hand. If not please try to bring down the product count. We have to decide with one at the end of the day.
From this step we won’t discard products with every step. Rather we’ll give points. The product with the best point will be the best one for you.
Now, back to the process.
You’ll notice two types of epoxies here. One type dries within 1 hour and another takes 24 hours+. For below 1 hour give 2 points and give 1 point to the ones taking more than an hour.
Categorize Based on Temperature Range
Here we’ll differentiate based on two categories. The weather category and the food safe category.
The weather category ones will be within -50 to 120 . However, for the food category you just have to see if the epoxy stays okay till 212 .
Now ask yourself if your project will remain outdoors or will it enter an oven. Whatever is your preference, now you know which category you’ll need. Find the products that fall into that category and give 1 point each.
Mark Based on Resistance
Normally epoxies should show resistance towards, water, sunlight, chemicals and fires. So, first decide what type of resistance should your epoxy show? Give points only based on those.
For example, let’s say you’ll only need water and sunlight resistance. So, you’ll give 2 points to the epoxy that meets these two criteria. 1 point if any epoxy meets only one criterion.
Check the Applicator Style
Here at first decide which type of applicator is best for you. Do you want easy dispense or equal dispense? Easy dispense is basically putties and tubes. Whereas equal dispense is syringe containers. Next ask yourself if a resealable cap will help you or not.
Let’s say you like equal dispense and resealable caps. So, you’ll give 1 point for each of those features. If you don’t like resealable caps, then 0 for this feature and 1 for the syringe container.
Container Volume/Weight Check
Finally, decide, do you want to reuse the epoxy many times. If yes, then give 1 point to the ones having more than 0.87 Oz. epoxy. If you don’t then give 1 point to the 0.87 Oz. epoxies.
Now calculate and see which product got the highest points. That one will be your best epoxy for plastic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does epoxy eat through plastic?
Regular epoxy won’t hold on to plastic surfaces for that long. They just don’t have that structural integrity. But with the right preparation and product, it’ll stick to the surface just fine.
What is the strongest epoxy for plastic?
Well, we gave you the list of the epoxy for plastic surfaces. So, the rest is up to you.
Is epoxy stronger than super glue?
Both these products are great for strong bonds. But they’re used for different purposes. You see, super glue doesn’t have that much shear strength. Whereas epoxy is excellent in that field. So, for plastics, you should go for epoxy.
Does epoxy scratch easily?
The short answer is no. Epoxy will last longer than any other type of glue due to its structural integrity. If you’re worried about scratches, then don’t. Because that epoxy is not only scratch-resistant but it’s also extremely durable.
How long does plastic epoxy take to dry?
Normally, it’d take around 72 hours for the epoxy to dry completely. Even if the packaging says, 5 minutes is enough but you should still wait for it to dry properly. Otherwise, you’ll be putting yourself in the risk of surface contamination.
We’re at the end of our long journey. But we’re confident that from here on you can be by yourself. After all, how hard could it be to choose the best plastic epoxy?
That being said, remember to take safety measures while using the epoxy. Moreover, keep the epoxy out of children’s reach. So, what are you waiting for? Order up that epoxy, get your plastic ready and start bonding.
Good luck! Stay safe!