It’s true that stuff made out of metal is hard to break. But it’s also true that metal made things break.
Here’s the thing-
We have two popular solutions to broken metal pieces. We can either weld those or we can glue those. Actually, using a metal epoxy is the best way to bond metal to metal without welding.
So, you might be a handyman or a mechanic or just another person with a broken metal piece. It doesn’t matter who you are. We believe everyone can imagine the ease of using metal epoxies. And the glue brands know this too. For that reason, we have hundreds of metal epoxies in the market.
What is the best metal epoxy? We would suggest metal epoxy with- easy usability, quick-set ability, decent strength, water and heat resistivity. It must ensure that it will set quickly and last for a long time. We all know that metal is a heat conductor and obviously it will come in contact with water as well. So you need to make sure that it can resist heat and water well.
Here we’ve discussed each product in detail. However, before going deep into the details, let’s take a quick glance at our comparison table-
What Is Metal Epoxy?
Metal will give you a strong and shiny appearance when the material gets polished and freshly prepared. It can be hammered to thin sheets or wires that are why metal epoxy is needed.
What is metal epoxy? Metal epoxy is glue which is used to join metal to metal or metal to other materials. It creates a durable, high strength bond that is used in repairing, filling and rebuilding metal and concrete surfaces.
What Do People Like About Metal Epoxy?
Epoxy has a wide range of applications that includes metal coatings, use in electronics/LEDs, adhesives and many more. This helps customers to understand their exact problem and choose that will solve their problem.
What do people like about metal epoxy? Metal is all around us, we are always working with it. Metal epoxy is a great product for a quick fix. As it also comes in ranges people who work in DIY projects to people working in jewelry everyone can get a hand of it and fix their damaged items.
Benefits of using metal epoxy:
- Heat Resistant: It provides the highest heat resistant. The adhesive will not flow or sag as temperature rises. It’ll spread out evenly.
- Durability: Once you apply the glue you get a hard finished surface. It’s also cheap so opting for metal epoxy is a win win situation.
- Non-Toxic: It’s environmentally friendly. The epoxy has a high cohesion for which fumes will not dissolve in the air or water.
- Low Maintenance: Metal epoxy is very easy to keep clean. Most dirt washes away on its own. There’s no chance of stains remaining because of the hard material.
What Are Some Metal Epoxy Problems?
Despite it’s so many benefits we cannot ignore the limitations. If we know about the limitations beforehand it’ll be easier to handle them accordingly.
What are some metal epoxy problems? The application is an important part. It may run out of the bond area and cause mess. It’s best to follow the application process to avoid such problems.
How Long Metal Epoxy Last?
We all considers the longevity of a product before buying it. Specially when it’s for repairmen and fixing.
How long metal epoxy last? It often depends on how nicely it cures. On an average it takes 72 hours for the epoxy to get fully cured. However, whatever the drying time is check personally and allow it to settle before using it or else your hard work might not last long.
Best Metal Epoxy 2021 – Comparison Table
Our team researched best metal epoxy for the market 2021.
Read more: best plastic epoxy 2021 – buyer’s guide
J-B Weld 8265S Original Cold-Weld Steel Reinforced Epoxy
If you ask us, what is the best metal epoxy? then this is the answer. J-B Weld Original Cold Weld Steel Reinfroced Epoxy is the perfect thing for you if you’re looking for a heat proof alternative to torch welding.
The best part is that you won’t need any extra help to use this epoxy. The 3 step easy application method doesn’t need some special experience. All you have to do is follow the specific instructions and voila!
You’ll end up with a bond as strong as a welded bond. Now, let’s look at some special features and benefits of this epoxy-
- The cured bond can be modified: Most of the time the application doesn’t go as planned. To be more specific, we can’t apply glue/epoxy smoothly every time. And sometimes second touches in the bond results in a weaker bond. But if you’re using this epoxy, then you can sand, mold, drill and fill the bond according to your wish. They don’t call it the world’s strongest bond for no reason.
- Heat resistance at its best: Some people are afraid of using epoxies/glues in cars or cooking appliances. They think that epoxies can’t take in much heat and get back to welding. J-B Weld made this product just for them. This epoxy has the highest heat resistance in this list. So, you can apply it in anything that’ll be under 550 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now let’s dive into the pros and cons-
Gorilla 2 Part Epoxy Syringe, 5 Minute Set
This is the best epoxy from the Gorilla Glue company. And we have reasons behind this claim. This easy to handle epoxy gives you tension free metal bonding.
It sets up fast making sure that you have a nice and tough bond. Other than fixing broken metal parts, you can use it for solvent resistance and gap filling. Moreover, the decent temperature limit makes it a perfect thing for regular household usage.
Now let’s look at the features and benefits of Gorilla 2 part Epoxy syringe-
- Easy to use: It comes in a syringe dispenser. So, you’ll have more control over the usage. There’s more to it. The separate barrels make sure that the epoxy doesn’t harden up. And the syringe dispenses equally. So, won’t have to worry about the mixing ratio.
- Quick setting: This epoxy sets in 5 minutes. So, if you’re in a hurry this can deliver. However, you’ll get plenty of time to adjust even with this quick setting feature. But if you want a stronger bond, you should wait for 24 hours before putting the metal to use.
- Decent Strength: This epoxy comes with a tensile strength of 3300 PSI. It’s not the best but it’s decent compared to the 5-minute setting feature. However, it’s strong enough to handle a sanding machine.
J-B Weld 8276 KwikWeld Quick Setting Steel Reinforced Epoxy
This is basically a fast setting version of the original J-b Weld two part epoxy. They created this one for those who are in a rush. Those who don’t have the time to guard metal pieces for hours.
However, quick setting doesn’t mean that this one’s substandard. And unlike other fast setters, the J-B Weld 8276 KwikWeld Quick Setting Steel Reinforced Epoxy even cures within hours.
So, the strength of the J-B Weld with a bit of time saving focus, makes it one of best metal epoxies out there. Now, let’s look at the features and benefits-
- Fully cured in 4-6 hours: There are many quick setters out there in the metal epoxy industry. But most of those need 24 hours or more cure time. This doesn’t actually help those who want to use the metal quickly. So, KwikWeld solves this issue perfectly.
- Super tough bond: As we said earlier, this one’s just a quick setting version of the strongest bond creating metal epoxy. So, it kept the reputation. It has a tensile strength of 2424 PSI and heat resistance of 300 degrees Fahrenheit. So, the strength isn’t the same but it’s more than the industry average.
Loctite Epoxy Five Minute Instant Mix 0.47-Fluid Ounce Syringe
Loctite has been making adhesives for more than 50 years now. And they have gathered a fame of making quality products.
This Loctite metal epoxy mix here comes in a syringe form. Moreover, its precision applicator allows you extreme control over epoxy application. So, it’s a perfect 10 on handiness. But that doesn’t mean it’s low on other features.
In fact, because of that reason the Loctite Epoxy Five Minute Instant Mix is a bit premium. Let’s discuss those features and benefits in the next section-
- Reaches handling strength in 1 hour: Loctite took the quick curing limits to a new level. And 1 hour is the official duration. Most of the time it cures within 40 minutes. However, it’s safe to wait for an hour.
- The mix doesn’t shrink: This feature makes it the perfect epoxy for filling jobs. So, if you’ve got some cracks that need immediate attention, then this one’s the thing for you.
- The bond can handle stress: Within 1 hour, the bond reaches a tensile strength of 3200 PSI. And once it’s cured, it becomes solvent resistant. Moreover, at that point you can sand and drill it.
J-B Weld 8267-S SteelStik Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Stick
Till now we’ve gone through 2 jb weld metal epoxy reviews. And both of those products were amazing. However, JB weld is a company that loves to hold on to its reputation.
So, when they saw a demand in the market for epoxy putty sticks, they brought in this solution. The J-B Weld 8267-S SteelStik Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Stick.
If you think liquid stuff is a hassle, then this is the solution for you. There’s no mess here. No dried up epoxy issue.
You just open it, cut it and knead it to your preference. Within 5 minutes, the putty will set and within it’ll reach its maximum strength.
- Easy to use: This is actually the most important feature of this product. Anyone can use it if he/she has hands. And it can be shaped in any way we want. There’s no fear of epoxy roll overs.
- Heat resistant: If you’re afraid of skipping epoxies due to the heat issue, then think again. This epoxy putty can withstand heat up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Versatile putty: Although it’s listed here as metal epoxy, you can use it for a number of surfaces. So, even if the surfaces are made out of different materials, this will work.
Blue Magic 16002 TRI QuikSteel Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Repair
Till now we haven’t seen any food safe epoxy. The blue magic epoxy putty isn’t food safe but it’s water safe.
So, if you’re looking for something that’ll fix your water tank leak, then this is the thing. Apart from that, blue magic epoxy is loved for its quality. It’s got some amazing features that brought it in this list. For example, it can withstand a temperature of 500 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, let’s explore those features of Blue Magic 16002TRI QuikSteel Steel Reinforced Epoxy Putty Repair-
- It needs to be activated: At first you might think of it as a con. But think again. Regular putty epoxies start hardening up the moment they come in touch with air. So, if you don’t store those properly, the putty goes wasted. Here you have to roll it for a while to activate the putty.
- Quick setter: It sets in 5 minutes. Many other epoxies have this feature. However, not every putty goes steel hard in 15 minutes. Although it takes around an hour for it to cure, it gets pretty strong in a pretty short time. This will eventually make up that warm up time.
J-B Weld 50101 MinuteWeld Instant-Setting Epoxy Syringe
With this product, J-B weld has truly outdone themselves. The features of this product tells us that J-B Weld listens to its customers.
J-B Weld 50101 MinuteWeld Instant-Setting Epoxy Syringe is the best epoxy for on the go fixes.
It’s something that you should keep in your toolbox while traveling. And we’re saying this because it has some other amazing features than a setting time of 1 minute. Let’s discuss those in the next part-
- Has a resealable cap: This is the most unique feature in this list. This cap prevents the epoxy from drying out or spilling over. Which means you can use it over and over again.The syringe structure makes it convenient. It’s difficult to mix regular epoxies into a perfect 1:1 portion. This one made it easier with the syringe structure.
- Hasn’t compromised strength: J-B Weld original has the best bond among epoxies. But we’ve seen that epoxies lose strength as they go for quicker setting time. The best part is that this product here can withstand 2300 PSI. And it’s pretty amazing.
Loctite Heavy Duty Epoxy Quick Set 8-Fluid Ounce Bottle
This product has the best value for money. It has great features and it lasts long. Basically it’s that kid in school who’s okay with everybody. Not the star, but just the simple kid.
Now, what brings the Loctite Heavy Duty Epoxy Quick Set into this list? Well, definitely it’s got some mentionable perks.
So, let’s look at its features-
- Has large bottles: This epoxy is made for longer shelf lives. So, it comes in large quantities and if you can store it right, it’ll last for a long time.
- Won’t shrink: Many epoxies tend to shrink after getting cured. But it’s not the case with this one. So, it can be used as a great filler.
- Water, heat and high impact resistant: You can drill it, sand it and even soak it in water after it’s cured. Nothing will happen to it. Moreover, this comes with a heat resistance of 300 degrees Fahrenheit. So, you can apply it on metals contacting heat.
Permatex 84209 Multi-Metal Epoxy
Although Permatex is a popular name in the adhesive industry, this is the first product of this brand here.
Unlike some other epoxies in here, the PermaPoxy has been designed specially to bond metals. However, it also bonds other materials. But for this brand metal bonding was the primary focus.
Let’s look at the specifications of Permatex 84209 PermaPoxy 4 Minute Multi-Metal Epoxy-
- Outstanding strength: Our epoxy here has a tensile strength of 4500 PSI. That’s a higher end rating if you compare the industry average. Moreover, the bond is strong enough to withstand sanding and drilling machines.
- Fast Setter: PermaPoxy sets in 4 minutes. The best part is that you won’t need any clamping here. Which means it won’t need much of your attention once you apply it. Best part is while filling gaps this saves you from the hassle of figuring out liquid amounts. Because it doesn’t shrink.
- Syringe Structure: The benefit of having this structure is that you can release the same amount of epoxy and hardener at the same time. So, this saves time and effort.
Gorilla Heavy Duty GorillaWeld Steel Bond 2-Part Epoxy
This being our last product doesn’t mean that this is the worst product. In fact, this 2-part epoxy was built to make ‘weld like bonds’.
Aside from that, Gorilla Heavy Duty GorillaWeld Steel Bond 2-Part Epoxy has some standard features too. It’s best if we look at those one by one-
- Quick setter yet strong: Although this epoxy sets in 10 minutes, it builds a tensile strength of 4250 PSI after curing. This is one of the strongest bonds out there.
- Re-touchable waterproof bond: After it’s cured the bond becomes waterproof. Moreover, you can work on the bond after the curing period as you like. It can tolerate sanding, drilling, and tapping. However, it’s best to avoid water if you’re having a metal to wood bond.
Best Metal Epoxy Buying Guides
We use glues or epoxies to solve a problem. Solving requires time. And in today’s world, time’s the most valuable asset out there. So, most of us would hate to return to the problem again and again.
For that reason, we believe it’s important to know how to choose the best metal bonding epoxy. To ease your hassle, we’ve prepared a thorough guide here. Just follow these points while you look for epoxies-
Bond Strength and Durability
We’re mentioning this because here we’re talking about bonding metals. So, if it’s a tool that you’re fixing, you must make sure that it doesn’t break while working.
Our advice here is that look at the tensile strength of the epoxy before buying it. Anything above 1000 PSI should be enough for regular jobs. For temporary bonds and filling purposes, 800+ PSI would be sufficient. However, if you’re planning to use it on a tool or something like that, then go for 2000+ PSI.
That’s not all-
You might want to check if the epoxy would be okay with sanding, drilling, etc. after touches. We included this feature here because it’s related with strength.
If the epoxy is selling in the market then it works. Once you’ve decided on the bond PSI rating, it’s time to look at the dry time.
In our list we’ve seen different sets of times. Let’s make it simple for you-
Category 1: Takes more than an hour to set. However, these tend to give the strongest bond quality.
Category 2: Has a setting time range of 4 – 10 minutes. However, there’s more in this category. Some of these epoxies have a long cure time while some have short cure time. Some epoxies in here will take at best 1 hour to cure. While some will take 24 hours to cure.
Category 3: These are the fastest ones out there. These can set within a minute. So, if you want to keep something for emergencies, keep one of these with you.
However, we’ve seen another trend at play here. Some quick curing epoxies tend to give weaker bonds. And because of that reason we’ve asked you to set on the strength at first.
Here our advice would be finding the one that gives the strongest bond within the least cure time. That would be to find the best epoxy glue for metal that cures within an hour.
By value we mean the amount considering the price range. Look at the amount of epoxy you’re getting for the money. Calculate how much per ounce is costing you. Take the one that gives you the highest amount for the money.
However, there’s something that you should keep in mind there. The more features your epoxy covers, the more it’ll cost to you. That’s why we’ve kept it at third. First set on more important factors, then decide on this.
It’s important to know the temperature range of the epoxy. There are two reasons behind this suggestion of ours.
First you should know about the heat resistance of the cured epoxy. The best high heat metal epoxy will allow you to work even on the engines.
On the other hand, during winter temperatures drop drastically in some places. Make sure that your epoxy won’t crack during winter.
Indoor or Outdoor
Most of the epoxies in here are okay with harsh weather. But still make sure that your epoxy will be okay under rain and hot summer sun.
Although most of the epoxies here can bond different types of metals but still take a look before you buy.
You won’t use the epoxy on only metal all the time. Sometimes, it’s going to be plastic, sometimes wood. So, make sure that your epoxy is compatible on multiple surfaces.
For this you have to find the best epoxy metal filler. Not all the epoxies can serve the role of a sealant. Moreover, you can go one step further and check if it’s non toxic to water.
We’re down to the last checkbox. Once you’ve got everything figured out, decide what type of applicator would you like to use.
Although we believe after sorting through all those categories you won’t have many choices left. But still think about it. Some epoxies come in a syringe applicator while some arrive in tubes.
For the tube ones you’ll need a separate tray to mix 2 parts. Also, some epoxies come with a resealable cap. Basically look out for unique features.
However, if you’re into putty, then the case is totally different. For putties the only applicator is your hand.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does metallic epoxy last?
Metal epoxies are known to last for a long time. With moderate foot traffic and maintenance, they’ll be good for at least 30 years. But the scenario changes with heavy foot traffic. Then, you can expect it to go for 10-20 years.
Do epoxy floors scratch easily?
Epoxy floors are, in fact, quite durable. Many people think that the thin layer of epoxy is a complete waste. But in reality, that epoxy layer will protect the floor from any kind of scratch. Moreover, it’ll make sure that the surface doesn’t break from any sort of impact.
Is metal-epoxy waterproof?
This actually depends on the brand you’re buying. A lot of manufactures claim that their epoxy is waterproof when in reality, it isn’t. However, the Blue Magic Epoxy is a 100 percent waterproof metal epoxy that you can try for yourself.
We’re at the end of our journey of finding the best metal epoxy. If you think that the buying guide is too much then just follow our top picks. But don’t compromise on the fixing quality.
Now go and order up your chosen epoxy. Start working on that piece of metal. Good luck.